One of our biggest frustrations with building the pre-alpha 1.0 demo for A Dragon Named Coal was rapidly rolling out content. We were using a combination of Excel Spreadsheets and some pre-built tools from the Unity Asset Store. While this might not sound like a bad thing. Importing the Excel data was a nightmare that resulted in difficult to solve errors. The assets we used weren’t scaling very well either. For example it severely limited our questing system and didn’t allow for advanced concepts such as quest tracking. To create systems capable of handling our game’s complex logic, we decided to roll a few new custom tools.
We’ve rolled several new editors for handling our data. Below you’ll find some cool screenshots. This is a big deal, as we can now rapidly produce new content for the game without the hassle of dealing with a 3rd party software.